Thursday, January 04, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

I looked over my New Year's Resolutions for 2006 and remembered that it was to read Jane Austen. Well, I didn't read all of her books, but I did read Pride and Predjudice and loved it. Of course I loved it, I'd seen it in movie form a number of times (the BBC version is my favorite). So now I'm thinking of New Year's Resolutions for 2007. The standard ones are no good to me, I don't drink or smoke so there's nothing to give up there. I'm not allowed to lose weight (I'm supposed to be gaining about a pound a week for the next 2 months). I restarted my nightly praying well over a month ago and seem to have that down into a habit...so what is left? This is how I get into resolutions like "read Jane Austen"...maybe I should just continue with that one...every year for the next few years I should pick one of her books and read it. It makes sense really. I actually do a have her collected works sitting on my bookshelf just waiting to be read. I do this a lot actually. I have books that I want to read on my shelf that sit there for years and never get opened. Then I complain that I have nothing to read. When I'm really in a state I pick one of them up and am amazed that I'd never read it before. Recent examples include "Cold Mountain" (sat on my shelf for 3 years before I read it), "The Grapes of Wrath" (sat there for 13 years), and most recently "The Nun's Story" (sat there for 7 years). All very good books by the way. I just finished "The Nun's Story" yesterday. I originally bought it after it caught my eye in a used bookstore. I'd seen the movie with Audrey Hepburn and loved the movie, but then I never read the book. I wish I'd read it before, it was really captivating! I know I talk about books a lot on here! Maybe my blog title should have been something like Bookworm Kristen?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home