Sunday, December 24, 2006

Do you think this is true?

Jonathan heard a radio stat the other day that women are more stressed out by Christmas than men. Do you think that's true? From talking to some friends and reading their blogs, and my own experience, I think we do do more of the preparation generally. In the past month I wrote the Christmas cards and letter, did the decorating, baked, shopped for everyone (except myself, Jonathan does that), wrapped the gifts (well, I'm almost done that, I still have Elijah's to wrap...you'd think a 2 year old would give me a moment to myself! He's sitting on my knee as I write this), did all the posting of parcels...but the truth is I like it. I enjoy decorating. I enjoy baking. I enjoy choosing and wrapping gifts. Jonathan really couldn't be bothered. He likes the tree being up and all, but I don't think he'd put it up if it was just him. I also get certain rights in the house as the official Christmas preparer person. For instance...I write the cards, I get to open the cards that arrive (I love opening mail that isn't bills!). I do the baking...I get to choose what gets baked (this year, holiday rice krispie squares, shortbread cookies and nanaimo bars and pumpkin pie). I do consult as well, I ask if there are any requests...that's how brussel sprouts ended up on tomorrow night's menu. I did find something out about Jonathan I didn't know until last night. He asked what kind of stuffing we're having. Now, I'm a big believer in Stove Top because it tastes good and is easy...I didn't realise that Jonathan wanted homemade. I guess his mom always had 2 kinds of stuffing (sage and onion and chestnut). They are really good too, we've eaten them at his sister's the past 2 years, I just wouldn't think to make them myself...Carole, I guess I'll have to get the recipes one day. So tomorrow is still Stove Top (unless I, or Jonathan get otherwise inspired). But really, I think I've only had 2 stresses this holiday season...the biggest was the Christmas (excuse me, Winter) Concert at work. Which went great after a near nervous breakdown by me on dress rehearsal day last Monday. And the other was at the post office in Shopper's. After waiting in line for 1/2 an hour (with a 2 year old in tow...and remembering that I'm 7 months pregnant here)...I get told that I'm sorry, they haven't unloaded the truck with my package on it yet. Well, I know it's not the fault of the lady who is the only one working (why they would only schedule one worker during the Christmas rush is beyond me), but then why would my little parcel ticket say my package would be there when it isn't...argh! But if that is the most I have to stress about, I guess I'm doing all right. So Merry Christmas Eve everyone! Relax. Enjoy your egg nog latte (if you are in BC, where you can get those delicious things, I'll probably have another holiday spice smoothie from Tim's because it's the closest I can get here in SJ). I'll be enjoying the Christmas Eve service tonight at Stone. (It's my second favorite service of the year...my favorite is Easter Morning...what joy!). And hopefully, I won't be up too late afterwards getting Elijah's gifts wrapped!

2 Comments:

At 12:31 AM, Blogger Angela Mae said...

Hey Kris... I hope that all went well yesterday!!! I am sure that it did... I'm home with the folks, been great. Totally surprised my mom and grandma... they had no idea that I would be here! Love it!

Christmas hugs to you!!

 
At 1:49 AM, Blogger David said...

Hey Kristen,

I can totally identify with your Christmas concert near breakdown. I only had one group of kids to lead where I work, and I was terrified that they wouldn't get it. It all turned out well though in the end.

Hope you had a great Christmas!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home