Sunday, December 10, 2006

Do all boys have stories like this?

Yesterday afternoon, I was trying to have a nap. I say trying because I actually did get about 20 minutes of sleep in before Elijah pulled one over on Jonathan and ran into our bedroom asking me where his hat was. I ignored him with the big "fake sleep" and then overheard Jonathan's little talk to Elijah about not waking sleeping Mommy. The damage was done really, I am not a person who finds it easy to fall back to sleep...particularily when Elijah's next brilliant idea is to get Daddy to chase him, including running into the bathroom and shutting the door repeatedly. Apparently, playing in the basement had lost its appeal for the afternoon.

As I laid there willing sleep to come I started to hear a giggling...not just a giggling, but a real intense belly laugh from my son, I was curious, but stayed where I was still hoping to sleep...that is until I heard the words "up your nose". What? What has he done? The dream of sleep now truly gone, I went to see what was going on. What I saw was Jonathan demonstrating to Elijah how to blow air out of his nose and Elijah in hysterics unable to do it. Elijah had put a button up his nose. I could just see us now, at the Regional waiting for a button extraction from a doctor on a busy Saturday. Now both of us are demonstrating and encouraging him to do the same...blow your nose...no, don't sniff! And trying not to laugh, because it's pretty funny at the same time. Thank goodness Elijah sneezed and we got the button out.

I think this a rite of passage for a boy. My brother's was a pea and Jonathan's was a piece of corn, probably both around the age of 2 or 3. (personal side note: However; Christian, this doesn't explain your recent incident, aren't you a little old for this kind of thing?)

3 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, Blogger gray said...

I put beads up my nose when I was little and had to go to the hospital to get them out. I'm not a boy though.

 
At 6:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine was a flower.
-Anna

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

my Friend put a blue berry up her nose when we were about that age too.. She said "Jennifer Look what I can do" and up it went. Mum tried to get her to blow it out like snuffalupakis or however that is spelled but she sniffed it instead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home