Saturday, October 07, 2006

I've been looking forward to this


Every parent has things that they dream about doing with their child. Jonathan couldn't wait until Elijah was old enough to build with Legos and old enough to play wrestle. Well, they currently build monsters and houses and towers and all sorts of things with Duplo (Lego will come when he's 6) and Elijah loves to climb all over Jonathan. So that dream is being realised. My own dream was to bake with my child. I have memories of making little pies and cookies with my mom, so this week I thought, let's see if Elijah is ready to bake with me.
Of course once you mention something to a 2 year old, there is no forgetting. I was inspired to ask Elijah if he wanted to make cookies, to distract him as Jonathan was heading out the door for a meeting (stop a fit mid-cry). So we washed the dishes (okay he played with the water in the sink as I washed the dishes) and then set out to make cookies.
Problem #1 - we have no eggs
Solution - I found a "Kids bake'em" cookie recipe, no eggs required
Problem #2 - the recipe calls for chocolate chips, we have no chocolate chips
Solution - use raisins and add a little bit of cinnimon
Elijah had so much fun with this...the reason I know is because he was still telling Jonathan about it 2 nights later at Tuck Tuck time.
He dumped all the ingredients in the bowl and mixed the dry ingredients (didn't want to stop mixing them) wanted nothing to do with mixing the wet ingredients - that mixer is too loud. He also attempted to form his own cookies on the baking sheet with his spoon (okay, I reformed them so it would make a whole cookie, but not bad for a 2 year old!). And then of course he ate them...spitting out the raisins of course ("no like raisins mommy"). I had no idea he didn't like raisins, especially considering he ate a 1/4 cup full of them while the cookies were baking and then asked for more...to be 2!

2 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome! maybe Elijah will be able to teach me how to cook someday! haha...oh my

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Next year, thanksgiving dinner :P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home