Monday, September 25, 2006

Chick Flicks

This Saturday was the re-birth of my bible study group. We used to meet quite regularily and what happened??? I think we broke for the summer in 2005 and haven't met since. We all agreed that we needed to start it up again, but how and when? Usually, "we'll talk about it" and "definately soon".
This summer I happened upon a book in the BBR (Baptist Book Room for you non-SJers). The book was called Chick Flicks designed for women's small groups. I bought it thinking, if nothing else, it's a good resource to have. Well the other girls seemed to love the idea of it. The concept is simple: dinner and a movie. Each movie chosen in the book has underlying spiritual themes, or themes/issues that we encounter as women. There is a discussion guide and relevant bible passages for each movie.
Our first girls night happened this weekend. The movie was Fried Green Tomatoes (and I couldn't believe that the girl at Blockbuster had no idea what I was talking about...aren't the people who work in movie stores supposed to know something about movies?). The menu was southern (and yummy!). We all brought something: Fried Chicken, Lemonade, Baked Beans with Rolls, Potato Salad, Vanilla Fruit Salad, and Peach Pie. (I'm sad to report that no one attempted to actually make the fried green tomatoes, although I have made regular fried tomatoes once in the past).
I forgot how good this movie is. If you've never seen it, I highly reccommend it (although I am giving it a Kleenex warning). The discussion after was good and I think everyone enjoyed themselves. It looks like we'll have more with us next month for All About Eve (NY themed food). Looking forward to it!

2 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, Blogger gray said...

She had actually never heard of "Fried Green Tomatoes"? That's just strange and sad.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Angela Mae said...

Hey... that sounds like an awesome study!! Can you email the info so I can see about ordering it for over here. I know some ladies who might be interested in doing that with me!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home