Saturday, August 26, 2006

Camp Medley

We're back! We've just spent a week at Camp Medley. This is our 3rd straight summer of doing this. Jonathan works as Camp Chaplain for the week and Elijah and I tag along just for fun. So, yes, He's 2 and he's had 3 summers at camp! Camp Medley seems to be a thing around here. The first year that we were here and hadn't been up to the camp we kept running into people at church events that treated them like Medley reunions. I actually didn't get the whole camp thing. I'd been to Girl Guide camp as a kid and went away to a church camp once when I was 15 for a week. But I don't feel that I got the whole experience the way that people who are Medley lifers do. There is a commraderie among them. They know the songs, the games, the routines. It's a whole other culture. It's been great to have taken part of it the last 3 years. I feel like I get it now. And I feel like I'm one of them. The camp in itself is very simple and it prooves you don't need a lot of fancy things to keep kids happy. The games are big and basic (Capture the Flag type stuff). The choice of activities are simple too: swimming, canoeing, crafts, etc. I know it's cliche but it's good clean fun (except for the mud pit and whatever Brennan has organised for the day!). All the kids go to a chapel session a day as well as a chapel service at night. Overall the kids seem to love it and the staff is excellent! They really seem to enjoy their job and they are wonderful with the kids. Already we are talking about going back next year. I look forward to seeing the new kitchen and staff quarters.

6 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Blogger Angela Mae said...

I love camp! I went to Nanoose Bay camp for a few summers and lots of fall retreats. I think I took you there once too...

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Shawn Branch said...

You're so right about the "camp world" - it is huge!

 
At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing how God uses the simplistic and simple mindedness of Medley, powerfully influencing so many kids and even staff members!

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Gotta love the whole camp scene! i was glad that you and Jon were there this week! im sure Elijah had a great time, i know the staff really ejoyed having him there!

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Hey Kristen,
I loved having you at camp! I am still waiting on my hug from Elijah though. It was an amazing week for you and Jon to be at camp. I am happy that I got the chance to work with him. I learned a lot from him. I really look up to you guys. I love you Kristen. May God Bless you both always.

- J

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

I myself am a camp medley-er (I came accross your blog from Adam O's.) and I just love it. I couldn't imagine my life without Medley, I've gone every summer since I can remember.
Medley is what holds my faith together, being able to escape from the world into God's house for a week every year is the best thing anyone can wish for.
Anyway, it was interesting reading your blog.
Hannah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home